Monday, January 12, 2009

Fatherhood flashes

I used the bathroom today and my son Elijah ran into the bathroom to use it after me. He did his business and promptly ran out of the bathroom. I yelled to him "Hey, you not going to flush?" and without breaking stride, in a whimsical tone he said "No". Needless to say I made him come back and flush (and wash his hands) but just goes to show that retorical questions don't always work with 4 year olds.
The other day I went to the market to get some stuff. I had my boys with me. I am leaving and see a brotha in the parking lot selling Obama t-shirts. I make a comment, he makes a pitch "got all sizes, just $10, etc." Then the shopping cart that I am pushing my sons in suddenly stops. Apparently they have an invisible boundary a few feet from the store and if you cross it the wheels lock and the cart stops right in it's tracks. I am scooping Cameron and the brotha doesn't miss a beat and grabs Elijah up out of the cart. I had several silent reactions in a split second.
1. I got this bruh, no need to invade my invisible family bubble. Personal space, personal space!
2. Thanks bro, it takes a village to raise a child, each one teach one, Umoja! Good looking out.
3. But dude, I DON"T KNOW YOU. Why are you so quick to grab my son, not cool.
4. He's setting him down gently, Elijahs not freaked out, that was helpful, okay, thanks man.
5. I hope he don't think I am going to buy his t-shirt.

Then finally I say out loud, "Thanks man, take it easy, aright"