Thursday, August 14, 2008

'Divorce Vows' Part 2



Not long ago my wife Kafi reiterated our sacred divorce vows, http://familylife-oakland.blogspot.com/2008/07/divorce-vows.html drafted in our first few years of marriage. In the unlikely event of our matrimonial seperation, I would basically get to keep about 20% of my income (the rest going to child support, alimony, car payments, facials, etc.) and my bike. This is actually a great deal considering gas prices. And although I am not as rich as Russell Simmons gardner, I like what he said about his settlement with Kimora when they seperated and he agreed to pay something like $20,000... per month...... per child. He said (I am paraphrasing) 'my children live a great life and my wife coordinates that and I am happy to provide for that'. Great attitude Russell. That's how I feel. If I get $375 take home after all my payments, I am more than happy to live off of top ramen in a studio, knowing that my children are being provided for properly. That is how committed a father and husband (or ex-husband in this case) I am.
I do have one amendment to the vows. I want to include my stand up pump and helmet to the settlement. Safety first.