Sunday, December 7, 2008

Parable of the Wallet

I had this black wallet I got a few years ago. It was perfect. I used it everyday. Until my credit cards started falling out of the sleeves. It was falling apart. I went to the store and got a brand new brown wallet. Shiny velvet lining, fancy. And cheap too! I liked my new wallet very much. Until my credit cards started falling out of it after several months. Then I tucked all my cards into the inside pocket of the wallet. Then the lining ripped and it was fast falling apart. What happened to my new wallet?
Then one day, looking for a business card, I saw my old wallet. I took out all the old receipts and cards I don't use and looked at it. No rips. It was nice and flat. I took all my cards out of my new wallet and put them in the inside pocket of my old wallet and it worked like a charm. It was sturdier and held my cards tight in the pocket with no signs of ripping or falling apart. My old wallet was perfect all along. I rejoice in simple pleasures like this. It don't take much. So I told my wife the story of the 2 wallets and she nodded slowly and said to me: "(your story about your wallets) is like me. Just in case you think you want someone else, think again because that new chick will fall apart and you'll be more worse off than ever."
Oh, the wisdom...